Sunday, September 28, 2008

Reading Response #1 The Art of Noises: Russolo

1. I chose Luigi Russolo's article entitled "The Art of Noises" because it seemed like a very unique and in-depth writing on how noise and sounds have graduated through time into what we now call music. Russolo also had in my opinion, a very interesting title to his article which also helped attract me to it.

2. First Russolo talks about how noises have been appreciated since the beginning of time. He talks about how with the invention of the machine in the nineteenth century noise was created. He explains that primitive races at the beginning of time considered noises to be in the same realm as the Gods. Sound was considered sacred and attributed with the highest of holy men long ago. Russolo goes on to talk about The Middle Ages and how music became more real, with the development of the Greek tetrachordal system. I noticed that Russolo really talked about machines and how they have been the main contirbution to sound, for instance he says "the musical evolution is paralleled by the multiplication of machines,..." Overall I found this to be one of the most interesting articles I have ever read in relation to the idea of sound, noise and the overall tone of music.

3. I personally feel that Russolo hit many points in relation to sound and how I use it in my practice as a media artist. For instance his point about machines was by far the most spot on point that he made. Without machines (cars, boats, planes, weed-whackers etc.) We would not be able to collect any urban noises on our sound walks. I found many of his points to be in direct correlation with what I do as a media artist.
-Connor Murray

No comments: